Monday 19 January 2009

Postcard 8: Dim Pysgota!

We visited the Centre belonging to the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (WWT) at Penclacwydd at the weekend, as you will know if you read my previous postcard. There are always hungry birds about; and every time I go there, I am always mildly amused by a sign in the water (left) in front of one of the hides. On my previous visit there was actually a kingfisher in close proximity to the sign. Back in August 2003, Ronnie Goodyer published my poem on the subject, Loughor Estuary, in Reach Magazine.

On a more serious note, the WWT undertakes marvellous work: it was founded at Slimbridge in Gloucestershire in 1946 by Sir Peter Scott. His godfather was J.M. Barrie (1860-1937), creator of Peter Pan. Sir Peter was the son of Antarctic explorer, Robert Falcon Scott (1868-1912).

  • I have just signed up to Birdstack (see Birdstack listing widget on lower right) in the hope that it will help me to record sightings.
  • On the subject of things 'polar', the Weaver of Grass has written about Shackleton's compass.

No comments: